Sunday, March 7, 2010

Sometimes, My Opinion Doesn't Matter


JOB 40:4-5 "I am unworthy--how can I reply to you? I put my hand over my mouth. I spoke once, but I have no answer-- twice, but I will say no more" (NIV)

I cannot forget that poster posted inside a tricycle of which I was a frequent passenger:
     The image: a bunch of penguins
     The text: I don't remember the exact words but it's point is that these penguins would like to talk to God for the purpose of suggesting a few improvements.

Perhaps they would complain about the way they walk (hindi kaya ayaw nila ng pakendng-kendeng?) or perhaps they  want wings that would make them soar like eagles. Or maybe they just want a colorful appearance.

It's simply ridiculous how a penguin could ever think that there is something lacking in the wisdom of God. Yet that poster wasn't penguin-made; it's man-made. Thus it represents the arrogance of man.

We think we have brilliant opinions and God must hear them so he could fulfill his role as Deity better. We even grumble about the manna and say in our hearts that if God is good and wise, he would have given us meat.

Our Text: Job 40:3-5
We know the background behind our text:
~A righteous man named Job lost his possessions
~a righteous man lost his children
~a righteous man lost his health. A skin disease covered him from the soles of his feet to the crown of his had

Then everybody pontificates about the tragic event: his wife, his friends and even Job himself.

God begins to speak in chapter 38 of that long book. He did not explain why Job is under such circumstances. He just appealed to his wisdom and power:

"Where were you when I laid the earth's foundation? Tell me, if you understand." (Job 38:4)

God's first speech consists of chapters 38 & 39; there is more to come but God's first speech was enough for Job's submission

He realized how small he was-- "I am of small account" (ESV). Compared to God, he is reduced to insignificance. After seeing his self compared to God, Job apprehended that his opinions are insignificant too compared to the perfect wisdom of God. He decides that the best thing he could do is to cover his mouth and shut up in humble submission to God.

Job 42:3 ""Surely I spoke of things I did not understand, things too wonderful for me to know."

Isa. 55:9- "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts."

The thoughts and deeds of the Lord are beyond human comprehension. What he has revealed unto us, we must fully accept. And for the things he has hidden in mystery, we must trust his goodness and wisdom (Deut.29:29)

Thanks be to God for the gifted teachers in the church. We can always go to them whenever we have biblical/theological questions. Yet there are times when those who are most biblically and theologically perceptive among us should say "I'm sorry! I can't answer your question. I really don't know. It's beyond human comprehension. But these I know:
     God is always right
     God is always good
     and we should submit ourselves to his wisdom."

----------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment