Wednesday, September 22, 2010

William Paul Young Believes My God is a Monster


“I don’t need to punish people for sin.
Sin is its own punishment, devouring from the inside. It’s not my purpose to punish it; it’s my joy to cure it”

- says Papa in William Paul Young's The Shack

In my previous post, I referred you to James De Young's list of comparison between The Shack and the creeds of Universalism. Number 2 in that list is:

"There is no eternal punishment for sin. The creed of 1899 again asserts that God “will finally restore the whole family of mankind to holiness and happiness.” Similarly, Young denies that Papa (God) “pours out wrath and throws people” into hell. God does not punish sin; it’s his “joy to cure it” (p. 120). Papa “redeems” final judgment (p. 127). God will not “condemn most to an eternity of torment, away from his presence and apart from his love” (p. 162);"

In June this year, Ray Yungen of Lighthouse Trails Research visited Concordia University in Portland, Oregon just to hear the voice of William Paul Young  (WPY).

Yungen reports the following:
1. WPY rejects the evangelical doctrine that God will judge the unbelievers.
2. WPY rejects the substitutionary view of the atonement.
3. WPY says: "the God of evangelical Christianity is a monster."
4. WPY refers to the evangelical view as "darkness" and exhorts the audience to get rid of it.

It is very clear; William Paul Young hates the God of Evangelicalism-- he hates my God!

See this post from the Lighthouse Trails Research blog.

1 comment:

  1. Two years ago, I bought a copy of "The Shock" out of curiosity (due to excessive endorsement by 'Christian celebrities'). The first few pages are engrossing but I was disgusted with the sudden transition after several chapters. I find the book ridiculous and I never finished reading it. Nice marketing strategy but the theology of WYP is childish.

    ReplyDelete